If you want to make a simple word game for your kids that is fast, easy and fun you only need a few things.
- A container.
- paper of your choice to write the words on.
- A list of words.
- Sharpie Marker
- Optional – laminator
How to choose your words : Most NYC schools use the Fountas & Pinell assessment system to determine the reading level of their students. I made my first game with the 25 high frequency words kindergartners need to learn. (Link to: Fountas & Pinell PDF) any words can be used to make this game, you an even use math equations.
How to play: The object of the game is to have the most cards at the end of the game.
- Players pick a card out of the container and read the word.
- If they read the word correctly they keep the word.
- If they don’t know the word they place the card word down next to the container.
- If they pick the word BANG! they lose all their cards. All cards should be placed next to the container.
There are two ways to play this game.
- Play for a set amount of time, when the time is up the person with the most cards win.
- Play until there are no more cards left inside the container, the person with the most cards wins.
Playing as a math game: Instead of words, write equations on the cards. If you answer the equation correctly you keep the card.